Life in the Spirit
Scripture: Romans 8:1-17 (NRSVue)
I love how pastor and author Mark Batterson in his book “If“ describes Romans 8 with such vitality and passion:
The Great Eight (Romans 8) starts with a big bang: “There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” It has a fairytale finish: “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Right in the middle, it crosses the Brooklyn Bridge of the Bible: “All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.“ Then there’s the subplot: “In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.“
He then goes on to speak of the linchpin, the kingpin, the hinge that Romans 8 turns upon: “If God is for us, who can be against us?“
“IF.” What if this IF is really true? You might be only one IF away from the life you always wanted. And that life is found not in yourself, but in Jesus Christ, in whom our life is hidden.
October 15, 2023
Sermon Art: “Mosaic of Jesus Christ” on a brick wall,” Artist unknown.
All of Immanuel’s Worship Service Videos are available on our YouTube Channel.
All of Immanuel’s Sermons are available in our Library of Sermons.
Bible Study Questions —
Romans 8:1-17 (NRSVue)
- How has Christ set you free in your life? How would you like Christ to set you free?
- What do you think it means to walk after the flesh? To walk after the Spirit?
- How is the Holy Spirit life to you?
- What are some fears that hold you back from really living an abundant life?
- Take some time to slow down and listen to God’s Spirit dwelling in you, God’s Spirit praying through you. What is God saying to you in that “still small voice?” Read Romans 8 this week to hear God’s whispers to your soul.
Other Sermons In This Series
October 22, 2023